Today’s topic is SEO, which stands for search engine optimization, and I want to share why SEO is important for business growth.
So for those of you who are not familiar with SEO, what is it? Well, it’s the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search. So when someone searches for something in Google, the more relevant that Google deems your website to be, the higher it is in the rankings.
SEO is very important if you want to get organic traffic from the search engines (also sometimes called unpaid or natural or ‘free’ traffic). Obviously, it’s not actually free traffic because, in order to rank in the search engines, you need to be creating content. Good-quality content that is regular and unique. And you know, all those kinds of things take time. So it’s not totally free in that time is money! However, SEO traffic is different from traffic from paid ads in Google, where you pay to appear against those search rankings.
So it is very important to make sure that your website is optimized correctly and this follows on from the previous 2 episodes where I talked about doing a website audit, then I talked about the importance of content.
Tune in, and you will learn…
Why I do an SEO audit with all my clients
- When I start working with a new client, I always get an SEO audit done. That means looking at their website to check whether they have any issues. There could be technical issues with the site structure or with the speed, which means that the website is slow at loading (and neither Google nor customers like that). Or there could be issues with the content. For example, duplicate content, which, again, Google is not a fan of.
- I don’t actually do the audits myself because I’m not an SEO expert. I do have a good understanding of how SEO works and have done multiple courses. I’ve also been blogging for the last 10 years, but I use an expert called Silvia Del Corso, who’s an SEO specialist and runs and business called Pink SEO Marketing. She shares some advice on SEO and talks to us about the reasons why a website may not rank well.
Why your website may not rank well, with Silvia Del Corso
- Silvia says, “The reasons why a website may not be ranking very well on Google could depend on different factors. There could be issues on the code or in the content or not having enough links. You can’t spot what’s going on just by looking at a page! Because Google crawler bots don’t see the pages as we do with this fancy design. They see the code and the words and often there are issues and errors that are holding the page back from ranking well and we can’t see it.”
- Technical things like re-directions chains and loops, broken links, uncompressed, uncaged assets, crawlability issues, pages loading too slowly. There could also be issues with the content of the pages, like duplicate content that is indexed and you don’t know about, or pages with the wrong meta-tags settings.”
- So many things need to be checked in order to understand the health of your site. And that’s normal because Google wants to display the best results to their users. So we need to identify and eliminate all of these issues”.
- SEO is clearly an important part of any marketing strategy and plan. And as we just heard from Silvia, it is important to do an SEO audit so that you know what issues there are with your site so that they can be corrected. Silvia can perform an audit on your site so you can contact her directly.
Related podcast episodes
And if you’d like to work with me to help you grow your business, check out my Work With Me page. You can book a FREE 30-minute discovery call. Let’s discuss the challenges you’re facing and talk about how I can help you grow your business!